Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Boondock Saints

"And shepards we shall be.
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth
from Thy hand, that our feet
may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et Filii,
et Spiritus Sancti."
 
 

This is probably the most popular quote from The Boondock Saints. It is the prayer brothers Connor and Murphey say before they shoot their target.

I have seen The Boondock Saints probably 50 times. It is my mom's favorite movie, and possibly one of my top 10 favorites. It is a movie about these two brothers who after a chance encounter with a few members of the Russian mafia decide to take matters into their own hands and clean up the streets of Boston by killing members of the various mobs that terrorize the city.

The idea of this type of vigil anti is a controversal one. On the one hand, the guys are taking care of things that the law cannot due to copious amounts of red tape. They are, in a sense, protecting the people of Boston by dwindling down the number of mobsters. On the other hand, they are acting as judge and jurry by executing the bad guys. The movie definately shows both sides to this debate, but lightens the mood with well placed humor.

I think this movie is pretty darn good, especially considering the tiny budget it had and the fact that some big name actors took a pay reduction to do it. Willem Dafoe  ( the Green Goblin from Spiderman 3), Norman Reedus (Daryl Dixon from The Walking Dead), Billy Connolly (from many, many movies), and Sean Patrick Flannery (The Dead Zone) all played major rolls in the movie.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry! I accidentally deleted your comment when I meant to reply to it. I am such a putz sometimes... But anyway, I would have to agree that The Boondock Saints is probably one of my all time favs as well. The only drinking game I have heard of for this movie is drink every time they swear, which I can only imagine to be brutal.

      Delete