Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Yet Another Peculiar Movie

"I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey."

And a strange journey it was. The singing pair of lips that began the movie pretty much guaranteed that The Rocky Horror Picture Show was going to be a bit peculiar. Although this was my first time seeing the movie, I knew that it was going to be a weird one. However, I did not know quite how weird it was going to be.

Photo credit: IMDB
I have always been a bit curious about this movie since I have overheard so many people talk about it and how outlandishly awesome it was. The movie temporarily slipped of the map for me until I saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which has an entire scene referencing it. With renewed interest, I was introduced to the world of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, a "sweet transvestite from Transsexual Transylvania."

Rocky Horror  was probably my favorite strange movie that I have recently seen. And if my last few posts haven't indicated a pattern, I have seen quite a few weird movies lately. Though, I will admit that I was a bit confused/lost during parts of the movie. However, I soon realized that I didn't really care because I was thoroughly entertained.

The costumes, the singing and dancing, and the nontraditional story line made the movie intriguingly crazy. Add to the mix the memorable and equally crazy quotes ("Hot patootie, bless my soul! I really love that rock n' roll!") and it's no wonder that Rocky Horror is considered by some as one of the most popular cult classics of all time.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites movies of all time! Probably my second fave, which is high up there. The first time I saw it I was so lost because I was focused on how bizarre of a movie it was. I fell in love though and am still obsessed with this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first saw this movie at Peoria Players Theater when I was 18. They do a midnight showings one weekend every year in October and honestly it was one of the weirdest experiences of my life. I never really liked the movie but i thought the experience of going to the show, dressing up and meeting all of the die hard fans was pretty cool. I would definitely recommend going to something like that if you enjoyed this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday I'll have to watch this movie. So many people rave about it and talk about the whole experience that Nick described. I just can't get past the weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty weird movie. I contemplated watching it years ago, but like you, I couldn't get past the weirdness. However, my friends at Bradley are pretty strange themselves, so I guess my tolerance for weird has grown a little over the last few years.

      Delete