Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Memoirs of a Geisha

Learning about different cultures has always been a passion of mine. The various Asian cultures have caught my attention long ago. There is just something about their uniqueness compared to the American culture that intrigues me. Back in high school, I read the book Memoirs of a Geisha and was drawn into the world of a young Japanese girl around the time of World War II. The story enthralled me with the intricate details of the life of a geisha and the rituals they perform. The author painted a wonderful picture in my head with the descriptions of the beautiful silk kimonos and the elegant performances. I was so intrigued that I desperately wanted to watch the movie, and I am pretty sure I did. But that was ages ago and I wanted to be brought back to Kyoto, Japan during the 1940s.

The movie did not fail to grasp my attention. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the more traditional Japanese culture before the Americans had a significant influence. The story was portrayed wonderfully, but as usual, I enjoyed the book more. But I was still inspired by little Chiyo's story of overcoming the devastation of losing her entire family and having her whole world turned upside-down. She managed to create a life for herself despite all the obstacles thrown in her way. This just shows that anyone can overcome the downfalls that may come in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment