Wednesday, February 20, 2013

More Sparkles than Twilight

Photo Credit: netflix.com
Whenever someone makes a reference to a movie that I haven't seen, I am usually curious as to what I might have missed out. A while back, my friends made a reference to the Labyrinth, which sparked my interest. Part of my curiosity came from not knowing who David Bowie was. (I know, I know! I've been living a sheltered life.) What a surprise I was in for.

Labyrinth is an interesting movie, to say the least. I will admit, I was not expecting an almost-musical with puppets, nor was I expecting all the sparkles! I thought the movie was going to be dark, which it was, but not in the same creepy (and sparkly) kind of way. It was marketed as a family movie but I can tell you that had I watched it as a kid, I would have had nightmares! All the creepy goblins and a big, red furry thing with horns... I've had scary dreams from cabbage-patch dolls before, so those things would have for sure brought on night tremors.

Even though it may sound like I dislike the Labyrinth, I was quite amused. For one thing, David Bowie is very eccentric, which may explain the glitter. He sort of reminds me of a male version of Lady Gaga from the 80s. The hair, the make-up, and the pants! Oh gosh the pants! Add in the singing and dancing goblins, it was all so... strange. But from what I've heard, that is David Bowie for you.

I couldn't help making other comparisons throughout the movie. One of the first things that caught my attention was the dwarf that Sarah, the main character played by Jennifer Connelly, met at the beginning of her journey. His name was Hoggle, but Sarah made the mistake of calling him Hogwart, which immediately made me think of Harry Potter. Another thing that crossed my mind was the similarity to The Wizard of Oz. Sarah, like Dorthy, was on a journey through an unknown land and happened to make three interesting friends along the way.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know who David Bowie is either!!! I hear the name all the time but have never heard/seen anything else about him. Do you think he is a good actor?

    ReplyDelete