Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Raiders of the Lost Ark

I have always known that the Indiana Jones series was an iconic movie, but I did not realize until I watched the first film just how spectacular they really are. My friends were actually commenting on many of the famous scenes from the movie that have been replicated in other movies. For instance, the scene where Indy uses a bag of sand or something as a weight to replace the treasure and the whole booby-trapped hidden temple ideas have been borrowed by other films such as The Rundown.

Ever since I became a fan of the TV show Bones, I have had a slight interest in archaeology. However, watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and all the adventures Indy has been on made the job seem even more interesting; though I'm not sure I'd ever like to go on such drastic quests. The movie was just overall exciting for me. It also had a little bit of everything in it. It is definitely an action-packed movie, but it also had a little scifi to it with the powers of the Ark of the Covenant and a tid-bit of romance in it as well, not to mention the  humorous overtones throughout the film.

I am quite glad that my friend suggested we start watching the Indiana Jones series for my educational purposes. I even learned a few fun facts. For instance, Harrison Ford was not George Lucas' first choice for the role of Indiana. Tom Selleck was originally offered the role but turned it down to film Magnum P.I. Also, the famous scene where Indiana shoots a crafty swordsman in the marketplace was slightly altered because Ford was sick and was not up for the intricately choreographed sword fight. Who knew you could learn something (albeit something relatively useless) while having fun?

1 comment:

  1. I love the Indiana Jones movies! My parents own all of them and I used to watch them all the time growing up! It always surprises me when people haven't seen them because it was such a huge part of my life. In fact, the character Indiana Jones was based off Roy Chapman Andrews who is an explorer from my home town of Beloit, WI!

    ReplyDelete